Do You Have Spousal Support Problems?
Spousal support (also known as alimony) is a type of payment made from one ex-spouse to the other after a divorce is final. The purpose of spousal support is to help the lower income-earning spouse adjust to having to provide for themselves.
I am a compassionate and experienced family lawyer who assists clients in alimony-related matters in Valdosta and across southern Georgia. Contact my office today to get the guidance and representation you need to navigate your unique situation.
What Is An Appropriate Amount Of Spousal Support?
If the couple can’t agree on the payment amount, the court will determine what is appropriate based on a number of factors, including:
- The length of the marriage
- The couple’s standard of living during their marriage
- The age and health of each former spouse
- The complete financial situation of each former spouse
- The amount of time it would take the dependent spouse to get the education or training to become self-sufficient
- The paying spouse’s existing financial obligations and ability to make payments
Spousal support may be a lump sum payment or as a monthly payment.
A spousal support lawyer can represent you in negotiations to establish a court order, or in petitions to modify your existing order. I can also help you enforce the court order if your ex-spouse is refusing to pay the amount you agreed upon.
Consult With An Experienced Alimony Lawyer Today
I am a compassionate and experienced family lawyer who assists clients in alimony-related matters in Valdosta, Georgia, and the surrounding areas. Contact my office today at 229-474-6582 or send me an email to get the guidance and representation you need to navigate your unique situation.