A lawyer who works
hand-in-hand with clients.

Car accident

Establish Legal Parenthood With My Help

When a child is born out of wedlock in Georgia, the child’s mother retains sole custody and sole parental power unless the child becomes legitimated. Child legitimation is a process by which the father can establish parental rights and be listed on the child’s birth certificate. This allows the father to petition the court for custody and/or visitation. If you want to file a petition for legitimation, a lawyer can guide you through the process and help you increase your chances of having legitimation granted by the court. I help fathers in the Valdosta, Georgia, area establish legal relationships with their children through legitimation. Contact my office today to request more information and get the assistance you need to establish your parental rights.

Is Legitimation A Necessary Step For Fathers?

Without legitimation, the child’s mother has sole custody and the father has no legal right to visitation or authority to make any decisions on behalf of the child. Legitimation also establishes the child’s right to receive an inheritance from their father. If you are a father seeking to establish a legal relationship with your child, it is essential that you do so in a timely manner. The longer you delay legitimation, the less likely it will be granted. The court may see the delay as you forfeiting your opportunity to develop a relationship with your child. The court may also deny your petition if they find you to be an unfit father or that legitimation would not be in the child’s best interest.

Get Professional Assistance With Child Legitimation Today

If you are seeking to establish legitimation and need a lawyer’s assistance, contact my office today through email or call 229-474-6582. I will inform you about your situation, guide you through the petition process, and represent you if the child’s mother fights your petition.